Traditional gnocchi with cherry tomatoes
Traditional gnocchi with cherry tomatoes and crisp prosciutto.
- 1kg desiree potatoes
- 1 whole egg
- 200grams grated parmesan cheese
- Plain flour
- 40ml olive oil
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 6 slices prosciutto
- ¼ cup white wine
- 100grams unsalted butter
- Handful of baby spinach
- ½ cup chopped fresh herbs
- Bring to the boil a large pot of boiling water
- Peel the desiree potatoes and bring them to the boil in heavily salted water.
- Once cooked through, drain thoroughly, then push them through a mouli or ricer with a fine blade.
- In a large bowl while the potato is still warm add the parmesan cheese, egg, olive oil and plain flour together until it forms a dough that is shiny and feels like playdo.
- Roll the dough out into long lengths then chop them into 1cm pieces then drop them into the pot of boiling water and stir straight away. Wait till they float to the surface and the water starts to come back to the boil then remove them from the water and refresh them in cold water.
- Once cold drizzle them in vegetable oil and store them in the refrigerator.
- In a no-stick fry pan on high heat fry the gnocchi until it is caramelized and brown then add the chopped prosciutto to the pan and cook until it crisps up then add the punnet of cherry tomatoes and cook until they are just softened.
- Add the chopped herbs, white wine, reduce by half then remove from the heat and mount with the butter and add the spinach to wilt. Serve.