Quick hot cross buns
A little taste of Easter complimented by the combination of mixed fruits and cinnamon.
Shopping list (serves 8):
- 500g white bread flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 50 grams caster sugar
- 50 grams butter
- 200 grams mixed dried fruits
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 200 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
Honey or golden syrup for brushing
- Pour flour into a large bowl and stir in salt, mixed spice and sugar. Rub in butter with your fingertips.
- Stir in dried fruit and sprinkle over yeast and stir in.
- Gently warm the mill and add to mixture.
- Eat the eggs and add to mixture.
- Using a blunt knife, mix the ingredients to a moist dough. Set aside for 5 mins.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and cut into 8 equal pieces.
- Shape the dough into round buns on a floured surface.
- Place on a lined baking tray and cover loosely with cling film. Leave in a warm place until the dough rises half in size.
- Preheat oven to 220C
- Mix the flour water to make a paste. Pour into a plastic food bag and make a nick in one of the corners. Pipe crosses on top of each bun.
- Bake for 12-15 mins or until risen and golden. Remove from oven.
- Brush all over with honey or golden syrup.