Vegetable and chicken soup
Warm up your Winter night with this hearty energy managing soup.
- 1kg skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon methi leaves
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1kg small assorted vegetables, diced
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 stalk ginger, finely chopped
- 150ml vegetable oil
- 200g red kidney beans, cooked
- 200g green lentils, cooked
- 2L cold water
- 3 bunches fresh herbs, chopped
- 1 bunch spinach, finely chopped
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Grind all spices in mortar and pestle until a smooth powder.
- Pre-heat oven to 185C.
- Roast chicken oil and salt and pepper. Cool and dice into small pieces.
- In a large pot heat vegetable oil. Add onion and fry until caramelized brown.
- Lower heat and add all spices. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add vegetables and chicken. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water, kidney beans and lentils.
- Bring to the boil. Simmer until vegetables are just starting to soften.
- Add herbs and spinach. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with crusty wholemeal bread.