Baba ganoush with crispy bread topped with za’atar
It's a dip of champions! Get smokey with this baba ganoush with crispy bread topped with za’atar.
2 large eggplants
⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1½ cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp lemon juice
¼ cup tahini
2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground cumin
Pinch of smoked paprika
1 pita bread
3 tsp za’atar
¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Halve the eggplant lengthways and brush the cut sides lightly with olive oil. Place them on a lined baking tray with the halved sides down.
- Roast the eggplant until very tender throughout and the skin is collapsing, about 35 to 40 min.
- Set the eggplant aside for a few minutes to cool. Flip the eggplant over and scoop out the flesh. Transfer flesh to a strainer and discard outer skin. Allow the eggplant to rest to release moisture.
- Place eggplant into a clean bowl. Add the garlic and lemon juice to the eggplant and stir with a fork until eggplant breaks down. Add the tahini to the bowl and stir. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil until the mixture is creamy. Stir in the parsley, salt and cumin. Season to taste.
- Transfer the baba ganoush to a serving bowl and lightly drizzle olive oil on top. Lastly, sprinkle parsley and smoked paprika to serve.
- For the crispy bread: separate the two halves of the pita bread and brush the rough, inner side of each with oil then sprinkle with za’atar. Cut into wedges, place on a baking tray, and toast the bread in the oven until crispy.
This delish dish is perfect for Mother’s Day.