Tomato and Onion Relish
This family recipe has been closely guarded and rarely shared - until now! Add flavour to pies, hotdogs, toasties and of course, burgers with this homemade tomato and onion relish. It’s also fabulous folded through Spaghetti Bolognese!
- 2.3kg tomatoes (Roma tomatoes work best)
- 4 large brown onions
- 1200 ml white vinegar
- 1 kg sugar
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- cooking salt
- Skin and roughly chop tomatoes and onions. Put in separate dishes with a handful of salt between the two dishes.
- Leave overnight and strain off liquid in the morning.
- Put 900 ml vinegar and sugar in a large saucepan. Add tomatoes and onions. Combine well.
- Bring to boil and stir occasionally for ¾ hour.
- Sift together flour, curry powder, turmeric, mustard powder and cayenne pepper.
- Mix into a paste with remaining 300ml vinegar.
- Add paste to the tomato/onion mix and boil for another ¾ hour, stirring often to ensure it doesn’t stick and burn.
- Pour into warm, sterilised glass jars.
- Allow to cool in the jars and then cap with screw top lids.