Tomato and mustard seed relish
Our tomato and mustard seed relish recipe is a great way to use an overstock of tomatoes or vegetables.
- 1 kilo sauce tomatoes, diced
- 4 large onions, diced very fine
- 4 tablespoons black mustard seeds
- 2 head garlic, roasted and pureed
- 150 grams fresh ginger, peeled & chopped very fine
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, chopped very fine
- 2 sticks lemongrass, chopped very fine
- 200 grams dark palm sugar, grated
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 400 ml red wine vinegar
- In a large pot on medium to low heat, saute the onion together with the garlic, ginger, kaffir lime & lemongrass until they are softened. Once achieved, turn up the heat to high to caramelize them, stirring continuously.
- After a couple of minutes add the grated palm sugar, turn the heat down to medium and let this caramelize as well. Add the black mustard seeds and wait until they pop, then add the diced tomatoes and cook them down for around 10-15 minutes before adding the wholegrain mustard & red wine vinegar.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down to simmer and cook until the desired consistency.
- If bottling, sterilize your bottles with boiling water, dry out in the oven on 100C, and add relish while still hot. Put on the lid and turn over for 5-10 minutes, turn back and the lid will pop and seal.
- Enjoy your tomato and mustard seed relish on toast or as a dip with antipasto.