Steak with bearnaise sauce
Nothing compliments the perfect steak better than a beautiful sauce.
- 3 egg yolks
- 200 mls white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dried tarragon
- 10 white peppercorns
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 small sliced brown onion
- 200 mls melted butter
- Sea salt & cracked white pepper
- In a pot bring to the boil the white wine vinegar, dried tarragon, sliced brown onion, bay leaf and white peppercorns. Turn down to simmer and reduce by ¾, strain and set aside.
- In a stainless steel bowl, add the egg yolks and the strained reduction. Whisk over medium to low heat continuously until it has thickened, being careful not to overheat and curdle.
- Once thickened take off the heat, then slowly ladle by ladle, add the melted butter whisking continuously as you go until it has all been incorporated. Add small amounts of butter at a time, otherwise you will find the mixture will split.
- Season with cracked pepper and salt. Spoon over your favourite steak for a wonderful creamy and tangy sauce.
- This sauce should be quite sharp and acidic.