Try this classic Australian bush favourite at your next gathering. It's easy and you'll love it.
- 450 grams self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 180ml milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 80grams butter
- Desiccated coconut
- Mix the flour, salt and sugar together in a bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Add the milk and only mix until it comes together. The more you mix it the tougher your damper will be!!
- Shape into a loaf, cut a cross through the top, brush with milk. Bake at 190C for 30 minutes. When cooked you should tap the top of the damper and it should sound hollow. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing into thick slices and adding your favoured topping, such as butter, jam or honey.