Pear, date and walnut crumble slice
Sweet-tooths unite! Have all of your friends fawning over this mouth-watering pear, date and walnut crumble slice.
2 egg yolks
3 tbsp castor sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
50g unsalted butter
1 cup almond meal
¾ cup plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp garam masala
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup milk
½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
2 Beurre Bosc pears
2 tbsp castor sugar
40g cold unsalted butter
⅓ cup plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- To make the base, melt the butter in the microwave, then let it cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, cream the two types of sugar with the eggs and vanilla before stirring in the melted butter.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, garam masala, almond meal, salt).
- Add the dry ingredient mix to the egg mixture bit by bit, alternating with the milk until just combined. Do not overmix, lumps can remain. Then fold the walnuts into the dough.
- Grease and line a shallow tray (20x30cm) with baking paper. Spread the mixture evenly into the tin.
- Cut pears into quarters, core, then slice lengthways into four slices. Arrange pear slices on the base in rows, lightly pressing them into the dough.
- Chop dates into small pieces and spread out evenly on top of the pears.
- For the crumble cut cold butter into small pieces. Mix with sugar and flour and massage together by hand until large lumps form.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture on top. Larger lumps are okay.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until the crumble is golden.
- Slice and serve with whipped cream (optional).