Pressure cooker lamb kacchi biryani
Indulge in this classic Indian mixed-rice dish with family and friends on a brisk winter's night. Pressure cooker lamb kacchi biryani is easy and delicious - try it today!
Ingredients for the marinade
- 1 medium sized piece raw papaya (helps to tenderise the meat)
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 1 medium size piece of ginger
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 green chillies
- 750g boneless lamb, chopped in to cubes.
Shopping list for the biryani:
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 brown onions, thinly sliced
- 3 – 4 bay leaves
- 1 large cinnamon stick, broken in to pieces
- 4-5 cardamom pods
- 1-2 star anise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 baby potatoes, peeled and quartered.
- 5 cups basmati rice, washed and drained
- 5 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon saffron strands
- Slivered almonds to serve
- Coriander leaves to serve
- Sliced boiled egg to serve
- In a blender add the papaya, yogurt, ginger, garlic and salt and blend into a smooth paste. Mix in the lamb and set aside overnight. (The longer the better here as the marinade will help to tenderise the lamb).
- Place your pressure cooker over medium/low heat. Add the ghee, then add the onions and cook until they soften and turn golden.
- Set half of this aside. Add the lamb and mix well
- Add the bay leaves, cardamom, star anise, salt, potatoes and lamb
- Add in the rice and garam masala powder.
- Add in 2 and ¾ cups of water along with the saffron and nuts, then cover the pressure cooker and cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow the pressure cooker to cool for 10 minutes, or until cool enough to open the lid.
- Sprinkle with coriander, sliced boiled eggs and the remaining onions and serve!