Vegetarians unite. Try this delicious fried tofu with mushroom & onion broth and Asian-style slaw today!
- 1 packet firm tofu
- 100grams rice flour
- ½ teaspoon sumac
- 1/8th teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 King oyster mushrooms
- 1 brown onion, finely sliced
- ¼ wombok, finely shredded
- ½ Spanish onion, finely sliced
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 1 piece fresh ginger
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- ½ bunch coriander
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 1 carrot, finely sliced
- 8 snow peas, finely sliced
- ¼ cup mushroom soy sauce
- 1 cup picked Asian style herbs
- In a food processor puree the garlic, chilli, ginger, lemongrass and coriander and the zest and juice of 2 lemons until it is super smooth.
- In a pot, gently fry the Asian paste in a little oil until it has softened but not browned. Then add one litre of cold water bring slowly to the boil together with the finely sliced King oyster mushrooms and sliced brown onion. Turn down to simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until aromatic.
- Prepare all the vegetables as stated and mix them together with the Asian picked herbs.
- Slice the tofu into long ginger-like sticks and dust them in the rice flour infused with the sumac and cayenne pepper.
- Prepare a medium to hot frying pan with vegetable oil and fry the tofu until they are crispy and golden brown.
- Place the Asian slaw into a bowl, pour over the mushroom broth and top with the crispy tofu. Enjoy as a light lunch.