One pot coconut chicken rice
Try this simple and easy one pot coconut chicken and rice dish that will please the family.
- 500 grams boneless chicken thighs
- 3 large brown onions, cut into large wedges
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 500grams basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons and 2 limes
- Vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 150 grams shredded coconut, toasted
600ml boiling water
- Slice the chicken thighs into large pieces, then marinate them in the ground turmeric, sumac and zest and juice of the lemons and limes.
- In a large pot with a lid, add 80ml vegetable oil and on high heat fry the chicken thighs together with the onion wedges and crushed fresh garlic until it is golden brown.
- Push the chicken in towards the middle of the pot, then pour the basmati rice around the edge of the pot, sprinkle over the toasted shredded coconut and then pour over the boiling water.
- Turn the heat down to low, put the lid on and simmer for approximately 12-14 minutes.
- Turn off and let sit for 4 minutes, then serve immediately.