Cevapcici with lepinja bread
Cevapcici with lepinja bread is a recipe traditional of southeast Europe. Often associated with countries such as Serbia, Croatia and Bosnia, this dish is hearty and delicious.
For lepinja bread
- 600 grams plain flour
- 375 mls warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 teaspoons powdered yeast
- 60ml olive oil
- 200g Minced ground beef
- 200g minced ground lamb
- 1 small brown onion chopped finely
- 3 large cloves garlic finely chopped
- ¼ bunch finely chopped parsley
- ¼ cup hot water
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Place the flour in a large bowl with the salt, in another bowl mix the water with the sugar and yeast, let stand for ten minutes or until yeast activated.
- Mix the yeast/water mix through the flour until it forms a dough, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Roll into 20cm rounds. Approximately 150 grams, then place on an oven tray and brush with oil, and bake for 6-7 minutes at 250C or until golden brown and puffed up. Let cool.
- Finely chop the garlic, parsley & onion, and add these to the mince. Season with salt & pepper.
- Add the baking soda to the hot water, pour over the minced meat and gently fold it through, leaving it loose, not packed. Chill for around 2 hours, overnight preferably.
- Shape into long finger-like sausages, then cook on a hot grill for 2-3 minutes., careful not to overcook as they are quite lean.
- Serve the grilled cevapcici in the lepinje bread with raw onion and Ajvar (capsicum & eggplant dip)