Who doesn't love sultanas? A yummy dessert using a traditional Scottish recipe, Sultana cake is the perfect afternoon delight - try this recipe today!
- 250 grams butter
- 215 grams caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 450 grams plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 125 ml milk
- 385 grams sultanas
- Butter to serve
- Preheat oven to 170C. Brush a 19cm loaf pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Line the base and sides with greaseproof paper.
- Use an electric beater to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a medium bowl until pale and creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition until all the mixture is combined.
- Sift the flour together and baking powder. Fold half the flour mixture into the butter mixture and stir in half the milk. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and milk, until well combined. Use a spoon to fold in the sultanas.
- Spoon the sultana cake mixture into pre-prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 ½ hours or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Set aside and let stand for 10 minutes before turning out onto a serving plate. Serve warm.