Succulent prawn curry
A silky smooth and aromatic prawn curry, best served with rice pilaf and roti bread for the ultimate 'night in' dish.
Shopping list (serves 2):
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 5cm cinnamon stick
- 5 fresh curry leaves or the equivalent dried and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 60ml coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 150ml water
- pinch of salt
- 500g prawns (cooked or raw), shelled and deveined
- juice of ½ lemon
steamed rice, to serve
- Heat pan on medium heat. When hot add the oil.
- Once the oil is hot, fry onions until lightly browned. Add the turmeric, fenugreek seeds, cinnamon, curry leaves, ginger and garlic and fry for 1 minute stirring continuously.
- Add the coconut, chilli powder, water and salt and bring slowly to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer.
- Add the prawn and bring back to the boil then simmer slowly for 5 minutes until prawn is just cooked. If using ready-cooked prawn keep them in the liquid just long enough to heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice.