Pasta e fagioli
Pasta e fagioli brings the flavours of Italy to your kitchen. Try this Italian minestrone soup variation during this cold Melbourne winter.
- 2 carrots
- 2 brown onions
- 3 sticks celery
- 2 zucchini
- 1 eggplant
- 2 potatoes
- 150grams pumpkin
- 1 head garlic
- Handful of mushrooms
- ½ bunch chopped thyme
- ½ bunch chopped continental parsley
- 200grams dried beans, ie cannellini beans, borlotti beans, black eye beans
- 150grams tomato paste
- Soak the beans overnight if possible, then drain them off and cook them in a pot until they are just tender, drain and set aside
- Dice all the vegetables and separate them into groups of quick cooking to long cooking.
- In a hot pot with vegetable oil, sautee off the onions with the celery, pumpkin, potatoes and carrots, until they are half cooked then add the mushrooms and eggplant and continue to cook for a further 3-4 minutes, then finally add the zucchini and cook for further 2 minutes. Season slightly.
- Add the tomato paste, stir through and cook out for 4-5 minutes, then add enough water or stock to cover the vegetables by 5cm. Slowly bring to the boil , then turn down to simmer.. Cook for around 20-40 minutes.
- After 20 minutes add the cooked beans and finish cooking out. Once ready, season with salt & pepper and the chopped fresh herbs.
- Now remove ¼ of the total volume of the soup and puree it until it is smooth, then add this back to the pot and cook for a further 5 minutes.