Traditional machboos is a spiced chicken dish served with rice. This dish is made with 100% fresh Market ingredients!
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¾ teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 chicken, cut in half
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 piece ginger, crushed
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 dried black limes, poke a couple of holes in each
- 1 serrano or jalapeno chilli
- 2 cups basmati long grain rice
- 2½ cups water
- Vegetable oil
- Fresh coriander, chopped
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl mix black pepper, salt, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, curry, turmeric, nutmeg and paprika to make a spice blend.
- Use half of the spice blend to season chicken. Set aside for 2 hours or overnight.
- Using a large frypan on medium heat sauté onions in oil until they start to go brown. Add garlic, ginger, cardamom pods and the rest of the spice mixture. Sauté for a couple of minutes and add tomatoes, chilli, limes and seasoned chicken. Combine well.
- Add water, bring to boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Wash rice in cold water until excess starch is removed, drain well.
- Remove chicken from broth and set aside on a baking sheet.
- Add rice to broth. Cover and let steam over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly cracked pepper.