Classic chicken & sweet corn soup
A yummy family favourite to warm hearts and tummies.
- 2 whole chickens
- 5 litres cold water
- 1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced
- 10 head of corn
- 4 egg whites
- 3 brown onions, sliced
- 1/3 cup mushroom soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 80grams fresh ginger
- Salt & pepper
- In a large pot slowly bring to the boil with the whole chickens, crushed garlic, mushroom soy sauce and sliced brown onions. Once boiled turn down to a simmer and cook for approximately 50 – 60 minutes or until the chicken flesh starts to fall off the bone.
- Roast the whole head of corn in the oven until the husks turn black. Remove from oven and wrap in glad wrap for 10 minutes to keep them moist and stop them drying out.
- Take out the chicken from the stock and start to shred it finely and add it back to the stock, making sure you have taken all the bones out.
- Take off all the corn kernels. Add half to the stock with the chicken. The other half puree and then add to the stock.
- Bring the stock back to the boil, then in a bowl whisk the egg whites until they are light and frothy.
- Slowly add the egg white to the stock and whisk vigorously making sure that the egg white is mixed through the whole stock.
- Simmer the soup for a further 5-6 minutes to cook out the egg, then season with salt & pepper and add the thinly sliced spring onions to serve.
If you would like to have a thicker soup, whisk through a small amount of corn flour diluted in water. Just make sure you cook out for 5-8 minutes after you have added the corn flour