Hainanese chicken rice
Dandenong Market is known for bringing the flavours of the world to Victoria. This is why we're glad to introduce you to Hainanese chicken rice. Hainanese chicken rice is a wonderful Korean dish famous for being tender and delicious!
- 3 slices ginger
- 2 pandan leaves
- 2 spring onions
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 5kg free range chicken
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- Coriander sprigs to serve
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add the pandan leaves and a teaspoon of salt
- Rub remaining salt all over the chicken, stuff the ginger and onions into the cavity.
- Lower the chicken, breast side down, into saucepan until completely submerged with the lid on. Simmer on very low heat for 45 minutes, then turn off and let sit for a further 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken from the stock, and plunge into iced water to stop the cooking process, then drain well and pat dry. Brush all over with the sesame oil.
- Serve with steamed rice, chilli dipping sauce, sliced cucumbers and garnish with sprigs of coriander.