Hainanese chicken rice
A wonderful Korean dish famous for being tender and delicious!
Shopping list (serves 4-6)
- 3 slices ginger
- 2 pandan leaves
- 2 spring onions
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 5kg free range chicken
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- Coriander sprigs to serve
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil, then add the pandan leaves and a teaspoon of salt
- Rub remaining salt all over the chicken, stuff the ginger and onions into the cavity.
- Lower the chicken, breast side down, into saucepan until completely submerged with lid on. Simmer on very low heat for 45 minutes, then turn off and let sit for a further 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken from the stock, and plunge into iced water to stop the cooking process, then drain well and pat dry. Brush all over with the sesame oil.
- Serve with steamed rice, chilli dipping sauce, sliced cucumbers and garnish with sprigs of coriander.