Baked apple pie
Classic apple pie has always been a favourite, and now you can bake your very own with Dandenong Market's delicious recipe.
- 150grams unsalted butter, softened
- 250grams bakers flour
- 80grams caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2kg granny smith apples
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons almond meal
- 80grams sultanas
- 2 eggs
- In a mixer, add the unsalted butter, caster sugar, bakers flour and egg and with a paddle mix until the mixture has all come together. Wrap in glad wrap and let rest for 1 hour, or overnight if possible.
- Roll out the pastry to a thickness of around ½ cm and line a tart base or baking tray. Also cut a piece big enough to cover the top as well. Set aside.
- Peel the granny smith apples, cut them into quarters and take out the core.
- In a non-stick fry pan, gently fry the apples in a little vegetable oil until they start to caramelize, then add the caster sugar vanilla extract sultanas and cook until the mixture becomes like a syrup. Take off and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the 2 eggs and the almond meal to mixture and combine well.
- Pour into the pastry lined baked tin, brush around the edges with egg wash and then place the pastry top on. Prick the top with a fork to release the excess steam, then brush the top with egg wash again and sprinkle with caster sugar and bake at 190C for approximately 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.