Braised beef with mediterranean spices
With a hint of spice, new season produce and flavours that will help beat the flu, our braised beef with mediterranean spices recipe is set to warm you up this winter.
- 500 grams diced steak
- 2 brown onions, diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 4 large field mushrooms, diced
- ¼ teaspoons sumac
- ¼ teaspoons turmeric
- ¼ teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic puree
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 litre of water (red wine optional)
- 200g kipfler potatoes, washed and dried
- 4 heritage carrots, peeled
- 1 bunch spinach
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs, chopped
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl mix the diced beef with roasted garlic puree, sumac, turmeric and fennel seeds. Set aside and allow to marinate (overnight if possible).
- Dust beef in plain flour.
- Using a large casserole pot and oil, seal off diced beef.
- Add diced vegetables, kipfler potatoes and tomato paste. Cook for a further 3 minutes.
- De-glaze pan with 1 litre of water.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down and simmer for approximately 2 hours or until tender.
- Steam heritage carrots and spinach until cooked.
- Add chopped herbs to braised beef casserole and place on plate with carrots and spinach.