Australia Day prawn cocktail
A succulent starter for any Australia Day.
- 20 large prawn cutlets, peeled & de-veined
- 500ml water
- 10mls white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ wombok vinely shredded
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 80mls mirin
- 50mls rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pickled ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Vietnamese mint, chopped
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 roti bread
- ½ iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 200grams cooked shrimps
- 2 eggs
- 80mls white wine vinegar
- 200mls vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sumac
- In a large pot add water, prawn cutlets, vinegar peppercorns and salt and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling turn off the hotplate and poach for 6 minutes, remove the prawns from the water and allow them to cool.
- In a large bowl add all vegetables, then season with vinegar, mirin and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Finely slice roti bread and roast in 180C oven for approximately 8 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Set aside and allow the bread to cool.
- In a food processor add eggs and white wine vinegar. Blend for 1 minute, then slowly add vegetable oil until thick and creamy. Season with sumac and salt and pepper.
- Mix the cooked shrimps through the creamy mixture. Set aside.
- In a large brandy balloon or plate layer the vegetable mix, then the creamy shrimp mix, roasted roti bread, shredded iceberg lettuce and top with the cooked prawn cutlets.