Chicken & vegetable broth
Try this cold and flu remedy this season to keep away the nasties.
- 1 X size 16 chicken
- 3 litres of water
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 fresh chillies
- 100grams fresh ginger
- 3 cups finely diced vegetables
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons and 2 limes
- 100mls honey
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- ½ bunch chopped thyme
- ½ bunch chopped fresh parsley
- Puree the garlic, ginger and chilli together in a food processor until it is a smooth paste.
- Place the whole chicken s in approximately 3-4 litres of water in a large pot. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli puree., add the zest of the lemons and limes and cut them in half and drop them into the water with 100mls of honey Season with salt and cracked black pepper and slowly bring to the boil, then turn down to simmer for 1 – 1 ½ hours.
- Remove the chickens, let them cool and remove all the flesh from them and chop it into small dice and back to the pot together with the diced vegetables and cook out until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the chopped fresh herbs, season and serve with crusty wholemeal bread.