A light and fresh sweet dessert.
Shopping list (serves 4-6):
- 400 grams pitted cherries
- 80 grams sugar
- 5 leaves of gelatine, soaked in cold water
- ½ teaspoon mixed spice
- 3 egg yolks
- 100ml cherry juice
- 50grams palm sugar
500ml whipped cream
- In a frypan on low heat, heat the caster sugar until it caramelizes, then add the mixed spice and the cherries, turn down and poach for approximately 5-8 minutes, or until they just soften. Soak the leaves of gelatine until they are soft and pliable, then add to the cherry mix and stir until well dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- In a stainless steel bowl, whisk the egg yolks, palm sugar and cherry juice vigorously over low-medium heat until it thickens and can hold a figure of 8.
- In another bowl, whisk the cream until it has reached medium peaks.
- Fold the egg yolk mix through the cherry mix, 1/3rd at a time, until well combined, then gently fold in the cream, cover and refrigerate overnight for best results.