This delicious Peking duck is Dandenong Market's favourite Lunar New Year recipe! It uses fresh Market ingredients and is super simple to master.
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 3 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 150ml shaohsing rice wine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 1 whole duck size 20-22 (2.0kg-2.2kg)
- Fill a medium saucepan with 1.2 litres of water. Place the sliced lemon, honey, soy sauce, rice wine and spices. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse the duck thoroughly and pat dry with paper towel.
- Use kitchen string tie the ducks legs firmly together.
- Place the duck in a large pan. Pour over 1 kettle of boiling water of the duck. Leave for 1 minute then transfer the duck onto a wire rack over a roasting tray.
- Using paper towel pat the duck dry. Baste the skin with marinade until it is completely coated.
- Sit the uncovered duck aside to dry for 4-5 hours. The preferred way is uncovered overnight in a fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 240C and place the duck in the oven on the wire rack. Cook for 15 minutes and reduce the temperature to 180C and cook for a further 1 ¼ hours.
- Remove from oven and set aside to rest for 10 minutes before carving.