Nothing beats a homemade pie or sausage roll but the it's all down to the perfect pastry. Master that element and the 'pie's the limit'!
Homemade pie pastry :
- 1 ¼ cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons cold water
Homemade pie lid:
1 2/3 cups plain flour
125grams unsalted butter
1 egg chilled
- Combine all ingredients, except the water, in a food processor and blitz till dough comes together then slowly add the water to change the consistency to make it softer.
- Cover and refrigerate for one hour before rolling out to the desired thickness. Blind bake if necessary if cooking egg fillings or put in pre-cooked pie filling and top with pie pastry.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or by hand until well combined.
- Knead this dough for a couple of minutes. Wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Roll out to desired thickness and cut out to put on top of your favourite homemade pie.
- Glaze with egg yolk then cook at 200C until cooked.