Chick on a stick, a super tasty Japanese family favourite.
- 10 X 10” bamboo skewers, flat if possible
- 1kg boneless chicken thighs, large dice
- 5 spring onions, cut into large pieces
- Vegetable oil
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup mirin
- ½ cup sake
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoon packed palm sugar
- 200 grams basmati rice
- Piece of garlic, chilli & ginger & lemongrass
- 400mls water
- 50 ml mirin
- Salt and pepper
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes
- In a saucepan bring to the boil the soy sauce, mirin, sake, water, spring onion off cuts and palm sugar and reduce for 30 minutes or until thick and glossy. Let cool.
- Marinate the diced chicken in this mixture.
- Drain the bamboo skewers and piece by piece skewer on the chicken alternating with the spring onion until it is all skewered tightly.
- Bring the water to the boil together with the mirin, garlic, ginger and chilli. Place the rice in a baking tray and slightly oil to keep all the grains separated. Pour over the broth until it is 1cm above the line of the rice, cover with foil and bake at 185C for 35-40 minutes.
- Grill the chicken skewers in a griller or on a coal pit until they have caramelized and cooked through.
- Serve on a bed of rice. Enjoy.