Slow roasted Jerusalem artichoke soup
This classic winter soup will be the hit at your next dinner party.
- 1kg fresh new season Jerusalem artichokes, peeled
- 6 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 small piece fresh ginger
- 2 desiree potatoes, peeled
- 5 small French onions, finely diced
- 120grams unsalted butter
- 50ml olive oil
- ½ bunch chopped fresh thyme
- 2-3 litres of chicken stock
- 60ml of crème fraiche or marscapone
- In two large sheets of aluminium foil, greased with canola spray place the peeled Jerusalem artichokes, garlic, ginger and desiree potatoes in with the 60 grams unsalted butter. Wrap tightly and roast at 150C for approximately 1- 1 ½ hours or until softened.
- In a pot with 50ml olive oil and another 60 grams unsalted butter sautee the diced French onions and cook until they are transluscent.
- Add the slow roasted artichokes, garlic, ginger and desiree potatoes and cook this down for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, just enough to cover the vegetables by 2 inches, then slowly bring to the boil and then simmer for approximately 30 minutes. Add the chopped thyme just before the end.
- With a stick blender puree the soup for approximately 10 minutes or until the mixture is super smooth and shiny.
- Season with salt and pepper, serve in a bowl and top with either crème fraiche or mascarpone.