Roasted pumpkin & pine nut risotto
Loved by the whole family.
- 200 grams diced roasted pumpkin
- 50 grams lightly toasted pine nuts
- 200grams Arborio rice (ferron if you can get it)
- 1 finely diced brown onion
- 1 finely diced carrot
- 1 finely diced stalk celery
- 1 teaspoon roasted garlic puree
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup vegetable stock (or water)
- 80 grams diced unsalted butter
- 40 ml vegetable oil
- Handful of baby spinach leaves
- ½ bunch finely chopped fresh thyme
- ½ bunch finely chopped fresh continental parsley
- Sea salt and cracked white pepper
- Lightly toast the pine nuts in a frypan until they are light tan brown, then set them aside to cool. Don’t brown them too much, as they will have a bitter aftertaste.
- Dice the pumpkin and roast in a 185C oven until they are just cooked through. The left over scraps that are left from dicing add to the diced brown onion, carrot and celery. Add these to a large pot with the vegetable oil and 20grams of the butter and sautee these until they are softened, then add the garlic puree and the rice and turn the heat up to toast the rice.
- Ladle by ladle add the stock leaving the heat on medium to high cooking out the stock between each ladle so that there is no moisture left before adding more.
- Continue this until the rice is around half cooked, before adding the pine nuts and the diced roasted pumpkin.
- Continue adding stock until it has reached al dente stage then add the chopped fresh herbs and spinach, then take off the heat and add 2 ladles of extra stock then whip in the last of the butter, season with salt & pepper.
- Serve immediately on it’s on or with braised ox tail.