Pumpkin, fennel and apple soup with garlic croutons
Warm your stomach and your soul with the delicious pumpkin, fennel and apple soup with garlic croutons
1 large brown onion
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp unsalted butter
800g Kent pumpkin
1 large Granny Smith apple
½ fennel bulb
1 litre vegetable stock
Salt and pepper
2 large slices of white bread
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Finely chop the onion and fennel bulb.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter together with the olive oil. Fry onion and fennel over a medium heat until soft and translucent.
- Remove pumpkin skin then chop into medium chunks. Add pumpkin to the pan together with the stock. Let it simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Grate the apple and stir into the soup. Cook for another 5 minutes until the pumpkin is soft.
- Remove from the heat and blend the soup with a stick blender until smooth.
- Return soup to a low heat and add the cream. Cook for another 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- For the croutons: lightly brush both sides of the bread with olive oil. Cut the garlic clove in half, then rub the cut sides all over the bread. Remove crusts before cutting the bread into 2cm cubes.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a shallow frying pan then toss the garlic and the croutons in the oil on medium heat until they are crispy and golden all around.
- Serve soup topped with croutons and for a touch of green sprinkle with finely chopped fennel fronds.
This delish dish is perfect for Mother’s Day.