Country-style chicken sausages
Country-style chicken sausages with lentil and vegetable ragout. These home made sausages will tease the taste buds and change the way you eat your sausages.
- 500 grams chicken thigh mince
- 1 sleeve country style sausage skins, large
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 zucchini, finely diced
- 1 red capsicum, finely diced
- 1 eggplant, finely diced
- 2 cloves crushed fresh garlic
- 1 piece, finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 cup French lentils
- 500ml chicken stock
- 300ml tomato passata
- ½ bunch chopped fresh thyme
- ½ bunch chopped continental parsley
- ½ bunch chopped fresh sage
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- In a very hot fry pan sautee the diced vegetables until they are softened together with the crushed garlic and ginger. Take off and let cool. Divide this into half.
- Mix half the vegetables together with the chicken thigh mince, ½ the chopped herbs, sea salt & cracked black pepper.
- Pipe this mixture into the sausage skins, tying off every 5cm or so, depending on what size you want your sausages. Refrigerate them overnight if possible.
- In a pot with a little vegetable oil, fry the French lentils for 2 minutes, then add the diced vegetables, then slowly add the stock and the passata a ladle at a time cooking out all the liquid each time before adding any more.
- Check the lentils and when they are just starting to soften add the chopped herbs, sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- In a warm to hot frypan cook off the sausages until browned and cooked through. Serve on top of the lentils. Enjoy with crusty bread.