This Polish classic will warm you and your guests up on a crispy Autumn day.
- 500 grams beetroot, peeled & quartered
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, peeled & chopped
- 1 leek, white only, sliced
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons chopped dill
- Rye bread to serve
- Place the beetroot, carrot , parsnip, leek, onion, lemon juice, spices & bay leaves in a large saucepan with the stock.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer partially covered for 2 hours. Cool slightly, then blend in batches and season well with salt & pepper.
- Return to saucepan and gently heat through. Place in bowls and garnish with sour cream and dill. Serve with rye bread.