Asian style chicken meatballs
Keen to try new spices and flavours in the kitchen? These Asian-style chicken meatballs will transform your next family dinner.
- 1 kilo chicken thigh mince
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 piece fresh ginger
- 4 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 3 fresh chili’s
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons and 2 limes
- ¼ bunch coriander, finely chopped
- ½ bunch chopped fresh basil
- ½ bunch chopped fresh parsley
- 4 tablespoons hoi sin sauce
- 3 tablespoons dark mushroom soy sauce
- ½ cup mirin
- 2 eggs
Sea salt & cracked black pepper
- In a food processor puree the garlic, ginger, lemongrass, chilli and zest and juice of the lemons and limes until it is a thick smooth paste.
- In a fry pan, sautee the diced onion together with the herb puree until it has caramelized, then add the soy sauce, mirin and hoi sin and bring to the boil, turn down to simmer and cook until it is thick.
- In a large mixing bowl add the chicken mince together with the herb paste, the eggs and chopped herbs and mix thoroughly.
- Season with sea salt and cracked black pepper, and if needed add some breadcrumbs to dry the mix out so that the balls when rolled hold together and are not too wet.
- Roll into small balls and layer onto a lined tray. Refrigerate overnight, then toss them in a fry pan and serve on their own or mixed through a pasta. Enjoy.