Organic kialla barley risotto
Try this organic super food.
- 1kg organic kialla barley
- 1 brown onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 desiree potato
- ½ bunch chopped parsley
- ¼ bunch chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon garlic and ginger paste
- 5 litres chicken stock, hot
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Finely dice all the vegetables and gently fry them in a large pot or deep sided fry pan together with the garlic and ginger paste until they have softened.
- Add the organic kialla barley and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Slowly add the chicken stock ladle by ladle continuously stirring so that the barley does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Once the barley is cooked through and does not have any resistance, add the parmesan cheese, chopped herbs and 2 ladles of stock. Turn off the heat and put a lid on and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve as a side for grilled meats or as a meal on its own.
- Use smoked chicken or shaved ham and salami to spice it up.