Grilled apricot & honey pear semi-freddo
The perfect treat for warm summer days
- 12 honey pears
- 6 apricots
- 4 egg yolks
- 60ml apricot nectar
- Juice and zest of 2 oranges
- 60 grams coconut sugar
- 600ml thickened cream
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
80grams toasted and chopped pistachio nuts
- Cut the pears into quarters, then dice them into 1cm pieces. In a non-stick fry pan with a little vegetable oil fry them gently until they caramelize and turn golden brown but not too soft. Let cool.
- Cut the apricots in half, then on a flat grill, add a little oil then grill them until they are caramelized. Set them aside
- Over a medium heat, whisk the egg yolks together with the apricot nectar and juice and zest of 2 oranges until the mixture is thick and ribbon like. Be careful not to overcook as the mixture will curdle. Set aside to cool
- Ina mixing bowl, whisk the cream together with the cardamom and cinnamon until it has reached soft peak stage.
- Mix the cooked pear through the cooked egg mixture with the chopped pistachio.
- Fold the cream through this mixture but don’t over work.
- In a lined terrine mould, pour in 1/3rde of the mixture, then layer the grilled apricots down the middle, then pour over the rest of the mixture, then freeze overnight.
- Pull out of the freezer ½ an hour before serving so that it softens a little. Enjoy!!