Gnocchi alla romana with caponata
Healthy and fresh using Autumn seasonal produce.
- 1 litre light milk
- 180 grams fine semolina
- 150grams grated parmesan cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 100 grams unsalted butter
- Salt & pepper
- 1 eggplant
- 1 zucchini
- 1 brown onion
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 green capsicum
- 8 ripe tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper
- ½ bunch chopped sage
- ½ bunch chopped parsley
- In a saucepan, bring to the boil the light milk together with the unsalted butter. Once the milk starts to froth sift in the semolina and whisk vigorously until thickened, turn down and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Take off the heat and whisk in the parmesan cheese and the egg yolks, season and pour into a greased tin and set aside to set in the fridge.
- Cut all the vegetables into large dice.
- In a large pot, with a little vegetable oil, add the diced onion and cook until caramelized, then add the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Add the rest of the vegetables, except the tomatoes and cook on medium until they start to soften.
- Then add the tomatoes and cook for a further 5-8 minutes, season with salt and pepper and the chopped herbs.
- Cut the gnocchi into pieces, dust with parmesan cheese and put in 180C oven until golden brown.
- Serve on top of the caponata